The beautiful Perth summer is there to be enjoyed by all. Encouraging your elderly loved ones to get outside and take part in fun activities is important for both their happiness and physical well-being, enhancing their lives through social events in aged care in Mandurah and remaining active with new hobbies.
Why regular physical activities are so important
Everyone needs regular activities to keep their mind and body sharp and active, but seniors in particular are at risk of both physical and mental effects from lack of stimulation.
From gentle exercise and stretching to new hobbies like fishing or gardening, there are plenty of accessible physical activities the elderly can do regularly to improve their brain health, keep bones strong, manage weight, and reduce the risk of disease.
Important considerations for elderly activities in the heat
The hot summers in Western Australia can be exhausting, so it’s important to take extra special care of the elderly who are more vulnerable to scorching temperatures and humidity. As our bodies become less capable of regulating body temperatures as we age due to less sweating, the risk of heat stroke is much higher.
Key tips for helping your elderly loved ones stay cool include:
- Stay hydrated with at least 8 glasses of water a day, and avoid alcoholic or caffeinated beverages
- Avoid the outdoors in extreme heat
- Stay in an air-conditioned space during hot weather, especially in the middle of the day
- Make sure that they are dressed appropriately in light breathable fabrics
- Wear plenty of sun cream, as well as a hat and sunglasses
- Check for unwanted side effects of certain medications in direct sun
- Keep an eye out for signs of heat stroke, such as nausea, exhaustion, disorientation, a rapid pulse, and a flushed face.
Fun summer activities for the elderly
Whether your elderly loved one lives independently or with a renowned aged care provider, there are plenty of fun and accessible summer activity ideas they will love.
- Have a picnic, late morning is best for cooler temperatures
- Start a book club and include their friends
- Watch a sporting event, especially one their grandkids are in
- Enjoy a concert or event such as outdoor cinemas
- Visit a local pool or lake, where they can dip their feet or enjoy a boat ride
- Birdwatching – a calming and therapeutic hobby
- Visit museums or aquariums – great for air conditioning!
- Go on fishing excursions
- Gardening, either in flower beds or easy-to-maintain pots
- Join an adult class to keep the brain stimulated
- Check out local farmers or flea markets
- Walk around a local shopping centre, great for stretching their legs in air-con
- Fruit picking is both tasty and a great form of gentle exercise
- Photography is both creative and great for capturing memories
Choose the best residential aged care provider in Mandurah
Quality residential aged care prioritises the happiness and well-being of its older residents, where comprehensive collaborative care involving families improves overall health.
Coolibah Care is a respected aged care provider that takes pride in offering comfortable and friendly homes with a wide range of amenities and social programs for each beloved resident.
Contact Coolibah Care today with any queries about aged care in Mandurah, as well as the available activity programs and amenities.